Papel Picado

Papel Picado

Thursday, December 26, 2013

A Day in the Life...: An Update

Well, it's the day after Christmas, day 31 on bed rest and day 6 in the hospital. Maybe it's my amazing ability to adapt, not having to be in control or just Jesus, but it honestly isn't so bad. Would I have rathered be with our families during this time? Of course! But it is what it is and I am where I am. 
I can't really say I've gotten bored, to be honest. I have cable and a TV guide on my phone so I can limit my TV by picking shows. I'm on bedrest so I am always "nap ready." I have colors, drawing paper, coloring books, paints, nail polish and books. My favorite part is interacting with the nurses. 
Bed rest, when looked at from the right perspective, is a laid back introvert's dream. I interact with only a few people a day, and they are making sure I am fed and baby and I are healthy :) 
When on constant monitoring, your day never ends, but I will try to explain a typical day for me. At around 5 or 6 am the night nurse comes to check my vitals (blood pressure, pulse/oxygen, temperature). This typically happens every 4 hours in order to check for signs of infection. Shortly after the doctor will come and hear me breathe, poke around on my belly and ask how I'm doing. Today this resulted in blood draw, which happened around 6:30 am. Results came back great :) 
If I am able to stay awake (which once I tell you about my night schedule, you will understand), I just sit for a while and check Facebook or play on Pinterest or something. At around 8 I have breakfast. The nurse then comes again at around 9 and they check my vitals and put baby on the monitor for about an hour. I often fall asleep while on the monitor because I can't move really, so insert nap here. 
After that- it's shower time! Then I get ready for my day. About an hour of downtime and then it's lunch. From lunch til dinner is usually the most boring part of my day, so I color or watch something on tv. Sometimes you will catch me reading. At around 8 pm I meet my new nurse and she checks my vitals and hears baby's heart beat. Yesterday I was having pain, so they put the monitors on for about an hour. They thought I may be contracting, so they ordered to put the monitors back on. No contractions, just a mean old fibroid tumor causing problems. 
I fall asleep probably around 9:30 or 10 depending on what's going on with Matt. At about 12:30 or 1 I am woken up to do my vitals again. 
This experience is definitely preparing me for her arrival. Random wake ups and all. 
If you ever want to come by and break up the monotony, feel free to stop by. You may even get a bonus of hearing baby girl :) 
While I am anxious for the arrival of the next season, this season isn't so bad. I am definitely getting in some good bonding time with our girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment